Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Can a gay man fall in love with a woman?

Ok, this is my first time here and I would like some help please. A good friend of mine who happens to be gay has recently told me he has feelings for me and he wants to date me. I am female. This has really blown me out of the water. I do know in the past when he was younger he dated women and had several relationships before he realized he preferred guys to girls. He told me he had real feelings for the women, but it never worked out. He started dating guys and has been for the past ten years are so. I did notice things began to change about 6 months ago. When I was with him and we were driving some place he would put his hand on my leg. He started paying attention to me and actually flirting with me. At first I laughed at him. I wasn't doing it to be cruel.

He has a hilarious personality and I thought he was messing around.

He even asked me why I treated him different than other guys. He says I flirt with other guys, but I don't with him. He acted like it bothered him. Then I finally did oh, my gosh! He told me he had checked out my figure on more than one occasion. Mind you we were at a bar when this all happened and I thought he was possibly a bit drunk, so I blew it off. The next day we went antique looking and while driving he kept his hand on my leg and would rub my knee. I looked at him and told him to stop. Again, I thought he was being stupid, joking around.He was pretty quiet the rest of the day. He left right after dropping me off and didn't wait around to say good bye. I found out later that night he and his boyfriend had a fight and broke up. I heard it was because of me. Long story short....he came to me a few days ago and told me he is so confused. He always considered himself gay and he likes being with men, but he is very much attracted to me and would like to start seeing me and see where this can go. He said he has been fighting feelings for me for a long time. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I am on the fence about this. I will be honest here I do love him. I think a secret part of me has always been very attracted to him. But I am afraid to become involved with him.

I asked him how did he know this wasn't a passing phase and he told me he knows its not. I just don't know what to think. Can some of you please give me your thoughts......I guess I don't understand how can a man who has said he was gay for the past ten years all of a sudden bam! say he's falling in love with a woman? I guess I am afraid to get involved with him because I don't want to be hurt. I told him I am afraid we might be together for a bit then his old yearnings will return and he will want to go back to men. He told me he is afraid too. He said I could come across a purely straight guy and leave him for a straight guy, who isn't so screwed up. I don't know what to think. Could some of you help me out here??? Is it possible for a man to be bisexual and not know it? Is it possible he could have dated guys for all that time and then all of a sudden turn back to women? This is so confusing.

Thank you.Can a gay man fall in love with a woman?
He's obviously not gay.Can a gay man fall in love with a woman?
If a gay man is really gay, he would have NO INTEREST in a woman PERIOD. There are alot of gay men though, who hang around females all day. That appears to be normal.
He sounds bisexual to me. From my experience, there are two kinds of (authentic) bisexuals. Those who like both guys and girls at the same time, same moment in their lives, and those who like guys for a while, then are attracted to girls for awhile. The latter kind flip-flop. That's partly why I think bisexuals get a bad rap for not being able to commit to one person. Anyway, that second kind is what this guy sounds like. He may not know it, but really really gay men would never ever be attracted to a girl. Just like a straight straight man would never be sexually attracted to another guy. He said he was confused and I agree. But this is him figuring things out once again, and until he is sure of himself, I suggest you don't encourage him at all. Its possible he is in fact gay, and fell in love with you, but I highly doubt that. If he's that strongly attracted to you that he would rather be with a woman than a man, then he's most likely bisexual. Your welcome :)
Love is a very interesting concept. But it is a subjective concept. But for a relationship to work, love is not the only thing that matters. It also takes emotional, physical and sexual attraction. So as two of them can not be fulfilled for a gay man in regard of a woman's body, then the answer is NO!!!
gay men fall in love with women all the time. A lot of gay men don't fall for the '; all gay men have no interest in women '; propaganda and often initiate relationships with women, many of them leave the gay lifestyle altogether. Its no big deal although there are sooooo many homosexuals who will scream that this is not possible. The gay scene is fluid and there are people entering and exiting it all the time.
Greetings,

My name is Blair, a registered social worker and counsellor for over 20 years. Sexuality is indeed fluid ... while or society wants us all to be in boxes, the fact is that most people fall along a spectrum of sexual attraction. Just because a persons primary orientation may be gay or straight, this does not mean the individual can NEVER feel attraction or fall in love with someone of another or same gender. Bi-sexual men and women would say that the gender of the person is not as important as who the person is that allows them to feel sexual attraction and/or love.

You said you find it difficult to understand how a man who said he's gay for 10 years can say he is falling in love with a woman. The opposite is common ... men and women who have defined themselves as straight for many years often have the same experience of falling in love for someone of the same sex.

Remember - sexuality is far more fluid than our present culture woould like to accept. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment